A guide to the hospital bag checklist
Most people tend to overpack when getting ready for the hospital, resulting in an overload of items you just don’t need. In this guide, we’ve listed the essentials you, your new arrival & your birth partner need so you can feel more prepared, organised & relaxed. Although you have a given due date, your little one could arrive a few weeks prior to this, so it’s best to have everything packed around 37 weeks.
The clothing essentials for baby:
- Two sleepsuits or bodysuits; we have a myriad of opening styles to suit your preference from zips, poppers, envelope necklines & wrap fronts. We offer multipacks of all our baby essentials so you can stock up & save.
- A hat
- A few cardigans
- A blanket; opt for something made from natural & breathable fabrics that’s big enough to use for multiple things.
- A muslin; perfect for swaddling, feeding and cuddling.
- Mittens & booties
- A going home outfit; this could be a sleepsuit with a blanket in the winter, or a short-sleeved sleepsuit during summer
Our Hospital Bag Essentials Set has everything you need in one place, made from soft & safe fabrics.
The essentials for mum:
- A nightdress or pyjamas; choose one with an open front if you’re breastfeeding or want skin-to-skin contact.
- A robe
- Cool & comfortable clothes; you’ll be surprised how warm it can be in a hospital
- Throw away underwear
- Sanitary pads; hospitals often provide these, but you may prefer your own brand
- An eye mask
- Your own pillow; it’ll make you feel more comfortable
- Toiletries; we suggest your favourite shampoo and lip balm
- A water bottle; the bigger the better & with a straw for ease
- A comfortable going home outfit
If you choose to breastfeed:
- Two nursing bras
For your birthing partner:
- A change of clothes
- A camera
- A phone
- Chargers for the above (and yours)
- Plenty of snacks
Hospitals will usually provide you with: nappies, baby wipes, tissues, wet wipes, pain relievers & a sponge. But you can always take your own brands if you want.
Preparing for a new arrival? Discover our Starter Set and save 40% on our bestselling essentials from day to bath to bedtime.